View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by register512 View Post
Jack has generally hit all the high spots, but I'd like to throw in a few notes.

First, the Kobo Touch is spec'ed as being able to handle micro-SD cards up to 32GB in size, as Jack has said. Since this was a specified feature, I looked into large capacity cards. I finally bought a 16GB card, since the 32GB cards were pretty expensive, and there was a mail-in rebate offer on the 16GB card. Mine is a "reliable brand name card" -- it was made by Patriot, who are one of the major memory manufacturers. For the record, mine is a 16GB SDHC Class 10 card; in other words, a high-performance piece of memory.

Initially, my card worked perfectly, but after a few firmware upgrades, my Touch started to act in very weird ways. In effect, with the card installed, I couldn't read any books. It made no difference as to whether the book was on the card, or in main memory.

For the hell of it, I have tried moving the contents of my card to other cards, and testing them in the Touch. So far, I have tried a 2GB SD card, and a 4GB SDHC card. Both of these seem to work perfectly -- I have experienced none of the weird behaviour that I have seen with the 16GB card.

Based on my experiences, I would have to agree that you should look to use smaller capacity cards, at least until they get the bugs sorted out (if ever). Frankly, this card problem really pisses me off, since it was obviously not properly tested during development -- if you say that you support some piece of hardware, then you have to be able to prove it.

My piece of eight...
Cant argue your logic. My Sandisk card worked great no problems 8 gig size.. Then when i updated the firmware it got buggy. Purchased a new Sd card 4 gig size sandisk again and it works fine. The 8 gig card works great in my fathers android phone. So there you have it.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote