View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Just to be clear:

Kindle Previewer runs (only?) on MS-windows, and uses kindlegen to do conversions from epub (or other formats?) to mobi.

Kindlegen runs on MS-Windows, linux, and (?) Apple OS-X.

Given a proper epub, neither kindlegen nor kindleviewer will produce an in-line table of contents from the toc.ncx of the epub. If you want an inline TOC, which is what the mobi format needs, you have to create it and include it in the epub (e.g. as an .xhtml file). However, the toc.ncx IS used for the chapter-hopping capability of the Kindle devices (e.g. 5-way buttons, etc.). Note that nested structure in the toc.ncx does not seem to be supported by kindle, however.

Calibre will create an in-line toc for mobi format, but as I understand it, it is not created directly from the toc.ncx of the epub, but rather according to chapter detection rules which you specify during the conversion process. However, as discussed above, the calibre-produced mobi may not be suitable for some "Kindle on XXX" software, nor for DRM'ed kindle files (of interest to short-sighted Kindle publishers).

Also, I have seen it stated by several people that Mobipocket Creator (MS-windows only?) can also convert from epub, but I have not been able to make that work for me.

Stanza also claims to be able to export files as mobipocket or Kindle (.azw) but the results are totally unsatisfactory, as is stanza's viewing capability for that matter.
Hi, St. Albert:

I've been able to create perfectly good PRC's from epubs using MBPCreator and a little creative tinkering, and it's not hard--I can dig up a post I made about it somewhere, and put it up here tonight--just too busy right this second. It's not the production method I use, 'cuz we wrote a clip that does a lot of this without doing it by hand, but the MBPCreator method works, too. I'll find it and post it here.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote