View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Disable indexing (search) = longer battery life!

Hi all,

This is my first post/thread w/e.
I have a ton of books on my Kindle and I was having major trouble with the indexing/re-indexing of all my books causing dramatic battery loss and lock-ups. Personally, I think maybe the Kindle deliberately indexes books from sources other than the kindle bookstore improperly as a disincentive for people to use those sources.

Anyway, I found a way to disable the indexing all together! I'm really happy with it and my Kindle doesn't lock-up so often. It also dramatically increases my battery life.

The indexing is controlled by a flag in the file /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh on line 176:
-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true \

I hope some of you guys will find it useful.

Cheers!
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote