View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Borders killing Kobo

Ok, not literally, but hey, I got your attention, right? :-)

So I've dropped by two of my local Borders in the Sunnyvale/San Jose area to try and get a look at the Kobo.

In both cases, all they have in the way of an in-store display is this pitiful stand:

Note that those boxes are *empty* and that when I asked to see a demo model, the employee took 10 minutes to call around and ask before being told that their one (!) demo unit was missing.

At another store, they only took about 5 minutes to find their demo unit, but then the employee had to stand around waiting for me to try it out, which was... inconvenient.

Oh right -- there were also some postcards on this display advertising the Aluratek Libre Pro. And in a completely separate display nowhere near the Kobo display (seemed almost intentional), was the sad Sony kiosk, where the Touch Edition always seems to be in a broken demo mode. :-P

Contrast this with the crazy amount of in-store marketing B&N is putting behind the Nook. When I walked into our local B&N, the Nook display is *right there* when you walk in. If you linger for literally more than 30 seconds, a salesman comes running over to start selling you on the thing. Seriously - it's like there's been some corporate mandate that says "Do not let anyone browse on a Nook without holding their hands." On the one hand, it's a little annoying (the guy reminded me of a car salesman - and he was also misinformed about some of the Nook features. ePub "standard" format? Well, kind of. Compatible with iPad? Well, if you download the B&N reader...). But on the other hand, *at least they had 3, maybe 4 devices I could actually hold and use*.

Sad thing is -- I really liked the Kobo. It seemed quite snappy and responsive.

Too bad it's priced too high (relative to the wi-fi only Kindle 3 and Nook) and Borders is doing a crap job of promoting it.

Maybe they'll do something smart like drop them to the magic $99 pricepoint that everybody keeps talking about. But right now, it seems like Borders has seriously dropped the ball.

Last edited by notyou; 08-11-2010 at 02:17 PM.
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote