View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Burning down probably happens more with people who write by experimentation of a rough plot (like me) vs those who build theirs off an outline and have the entire story already fleshed out well in advance via their outline. I tried numerous times to write stories using the outline method, and ultimately it never worked for me, so I went back to my original "rough plot -> experiment -> follow the story wherever it leads -> rewrite as needed -> polish, clean, ship" method. So far it's worked well for me, even if I end up having to scrap large sections of story in the process.

Oddly though, in some ways, it's a lot like what Edison did during his experiments. He'd try a thousand different ways and only take the ones that worked. I'm not quite that scattershot in my writing, but I quite often do experimental writing to find exactly what I want to do with a particular scene or character.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote