View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydot View Post
Hey everybody. I'm looking for a device to read screenplays on. I have a few hundred in a variety of formats: most are PDFs (some text, some that have just been scanned in as images), some are .txt or .html. Because of the quality of the scans and the fact that preserving the original formatting is a factor, OCR and ePub conversion isn't an option for the PDFs. I also read the occasional ePub from Project Gutenberg. Other than support for those formats, my main requirement is an e-ink display; I currently read these on my laptop, which has convinced me that an LCD screen is not ideal for extended reading. Price is also a factor, but I don't know enough about the e-reader market to have a specific number in mind (plus I'm in Canada, so I understand most readers will be slightly more expensive and selection will be slightly more limited anyway). Based on my reading so far, it looks like the Nook, the Sony PRS-T1 and the iRiver Story HD are the best fits, though I'm also curious if there are any discontinued models that would be better suited. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm an academic and have been looking a long time for something I can use to read 8.5x11 as well as reference material. I was waiting for Amazon to come up with the next generation of Kindle DX machines, but they've been discontinued in favor of little tiny video devices for watching movies and doing email, and the LCD screen isn't the best for your eyes anyway, as well as having terrible battery life.

You need a 9.7 inch screen at least. That's all there is to it. You might be able to pick up a used DX, but for the most part they're going pretty dear. Some used are selling above the new price. I finally gave up on it and ordered a Jetbook Color by Ectaco. It's $500, although I noticed that if you get it by the 6th you can get $30 off (click on Daily Deals on the Ectaco website). It's good for a lot more than just reading papers though. You can even learn a language on the darn thing.

I've also overheard people talking about an Onyx Boox or something like that. Lots of things to consider. Someday they'll make a good cheap 9.7 inch eReader, but not yet. If you don't do a *lot* of reading, get a tablet like the iPad. If you do a lot of reading, I guess it depends on how young you are and how long you want your eyes to last.