View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
I'm a newbee so be patient; maybe this has all been explored, but I couldn't find it on the site.
See the Universal Flasher and its "run script" option for an example of running apps on the Reader. Currently released version doesn't work on 505 since flashing it is risky without an official firmware update but I might release a version without flashing support.
The Reader's OS is Linux and the CPU is ARM. Generally almost any glibc-based toolchain works; two examples of compiled binaries are bundled with Universal Flasher (stat_fs and libfskLoad.so). You can download Linux sources for Reader at http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/.
There are sources there for both USB controller and E-Ink drivers. USB controller is Epson S1R72V17 and it does have USB host support, but there's no such support in the driver. So even if the USB port can work in host mode, one would need to write a driver for that.
As for E-Ink, it definitely does support partial updates - check the menu navigation with up/down arrows.
See here for hardware details:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2172951...7603454047408/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote