Thread: Sigil v0.1.5
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #61
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The bad news is that the slow speed is still there. My guess is that Qt on Mac OSX is simply not being optimized or is just darn slow.
Qt 4.6 is just around the corner, and Nokia has been touting performance improvements as one major development goal for this new version. Maybe that means better Mac performance... we'll see.

EDIT: Correction, Qt 4.6 has been released TODAY.

EDIT2: Qt now officially supports Snow Leopard. Hell yeah.

Sigil v0.1.6 should now take a bit longer, since I need to make sure everything works with the new version.

Quote:
Because of the impact of larger html files and given how lightening fast Tidy is, my guess is the problem is related to the Qt html widget and/or redrawing. If that is the case, unless there is some way to split the large html books into smaller pieces automatically (some type of chapter by chapter auto splitting? - or a really smart dom parsing routine) and then assigning a different Qt html widget for each segment, I am not sure what is anything can be done.
That's exactly what Sigil v0.2.0 is slated to bring. Instead of loading all XHTML files into one big flow, they will be kept separate. You will be able to select which XHTML file you want to load and edit. Should do wonders for performance on all platforms, Mac included. Hitting the "chapter break" button will split the file into two at that point.

This should all work a lot like the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio.

You can track this issue here.

Quote:
Hope this info is useful. Please let me know if there is anything I can test or do to help.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-01-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote