View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Sounds like a mediocre device overall then? I'm not sure why Sony came in at that price point, many people would lean towards a slightly cheaper device affiliated with a renowned bookstore I think.
The price point is driven primarily by: touch screen + 3G + screen size. With the screen being the majority of the additional cost.

The 6" displays are getting into that 'sweet spot' where everyone uses them, so they are cheaper because of the economies of scale involved, compared to the 7/8" screens (even then, these devices are still cheaper than the 9.7" screen-based devices which will be more common).

I've grown fairly attached to the 7-8" screen size range. The 7.1" screen the 900 uses is nice for the extra text without really bloating the device a whole lot, or making the columns too wide on books (a concern I have with the iRex 800, whose screen is the same height, just about 1" wider.

I've still yet to find a device with software as refined as the Sony... and for some of us, the Kindle isn't an option (by choice, rather than by any technical reason). I'm already getting rather spoiled by using the touch screen to highlight, lookup words and scribble notes. It'd be hard for me to go back after getting some of these features.

As for mediocre, it really does depend on exactly what feature-set you are looking for, and how much certain quirks in other devices annoy you.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote