View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 02:43 AM   #35
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, the ebook and ebook readers in its current form do not represent the ideal form of what i would like to see. This is what i would want:

1. My ebook reader should be a book. It should have about a hundred pages and a built in computer, with a fast screen (if that works with eink later, then no need. The pages should be as flexible as the are in curent books and you should be able to put different parts of books on different sections of the reader. This way you can flip through pages quickly. You should be able to make annotations and bookmarks to pages, like on a real book. Like putting a post-it on it.
And ideally, the cover would be eink aswell, so that you can have a nice coverart aswell

2. the ebooks should be formatted in a way, you can read them on different devices and have the same paginagtion but different font sizes. You should be able to save annotations and bookmarks with them and they should have a nice cover. You should have the option to display the publisher or author intended layout or display a reflow, with different font, margin, line-height settings.

3. DRM should be gone. But if necessary, i would prefer a model, where you can just lend your book to someone else. Or if you give them a copy, they automatically pay a small fee, directly to the author (publisher gets its share from him, depending on their contract) And i know, there are too many problems at the moment to make this seem remotely possible.

4. You need a portable bookshelf. If the reader has a fast screen, you can pan along your books, just like on a bookshelf and pick the ones you want. That would be awesome.

Thats what i would like to see. There are more things i would want, but these are the most important. I really hope that we are getting there while i am still alive
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote