View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I think you misunderstood where the percentage is applied. You're right-Amazon doesn't pay a percentage, they pay whatever the publisher demands.
I think that makes me right, then.

It's possible the publisher does have a formula that is related to the list price, which in turn bears little relation to what the retailer actually charges. They may also lower the wholesale price for back catalog items without changing the list price, I'm not really sure. Pricing is hardly an exact science though. I guess someone in the industry will have to spill the beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c
These days it would make sense that even wholesalers would pay attention to marketing-but so many publishers seem to live so far back in the past that I won't count on that.)
I know that's a popular view, but I disagree that the publishers are backwards -- no more or less than artists or consumers who refuse to go digital. The main issue is that they don't want to see their margins erode and their products devalued. But I think a lot of the industry believes that digital will overtake print in 10 years or less, most major publishers are putting out ebooks faster than they do paperbacks (which are in the same price range as the ebooks), and many are on board with things like POD, so I don't think they're quite as backwards as most people think.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote