View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #105
void_warranty
void_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Vox
taming: I'll post this in two parts, since it'll be longish. The first part is some additional tips about disassembling the Vox.

*** IMPORTANT ***
This voids your warranty. I am not in any way responsible if you follow these instructions and destroy your Vox!
*** IMPORTANT ***

Tools I used to take it apart: fingernails, a digital camera, a smallish Phillips screwdriver (without magnetic head!), a plastic fork. The camera was for taking periodic pictures so I could remember how it all went back together :-)

Make sure the Vox is powered off first. The back cover is, as previous posters have said, held on with snaps and some persistence with fingernails gets it off. The biggest thing you'll see at this point is the battery. It's held on with sticky tape which was quite strong, and you can't see it to begin with. I used the handle end of a plastic fork to pry the battery up without doing any damage to the battery or case. The tape's sticky enough to hold the battery down again afterward. Unplug the battery too, making note of which way the plug goes in for later.

There are a million small screws to undo at this point. Two are under where the battery was. They all seemed to be the same size, so you can mix them up with impunity.

The toughest part was the next one - getting access to the main board. Essentially you're trying to push the screen out from the plastic rim (gently!). I found it easiest to start at the end with the power button. There's an exposed black plastic square there you can push on a bit. The buttons are attached to the plastic rim and don't fall out when you succeed. (Whew.)

You should now be at the point where you see what a previous poster took a picture of, the main board along with the internal SD card slot. The slot's a typical click-in/click-out one; I didn't realize that until after I'd eased the card out the first time. Oh well.

Putting the Vox back together's much easier and just the same process in reverse. Make sure the screws around the external SD slot are tight or you'll have trouble getting the external card in and out when the case is back on.

You can also (carefully) test a new card without putting the case back on; there's no microswitches or anything to prevent this. You just plug in the battery and fire it up.

John
void_warranty is offline   Reply With Quote