View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
can you explain more of what you mean?
Yes. The best way to understand something we read and to retain information is to interact with the text rather than just passively move eye from line to line to line. You can do the latter when reading for leisure but it's not a very skillful way of reading when you need to retain information and/or when you are working out the meanings and contradictions of an argument.

When reading an article (or book) for example, it's helpful to mark areas of the book where the main arguments appears, where you have doubts about something being explained, where a piece of information is useful for your study (or in my case, research, since I'm a scholar). It's also helpful to mark areas where you don't understand but think is important but in the interest of getting the larger picture you will return to that difficult passage later.

These are all ways of interacting with the text that move us beyond just eye glossing from line to line to line. Do the companies or people who create these digital technologies understand this at all? This is really rather basic and fundamental reading skills!
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote