View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Fred Zackel
Connoisseur
Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Yes, I did know Ross Macdonald. He was a wonderful man and was exceptionally generous to me with my work. And I will tell you as much as I can. I do need a little more time to prep it.

As I said elsewhere, this book has had many lives, all of which fascinate me, the lowly author. And other writers have been alongside me. For them too, I am very grateful.

When C&BE was reprinted in 2006, Loren D. Estleman, the author of the Amos Walker series, including AMERICAN DETECTIVE and NICOTINE KISS said,

"The American private eye story was in the Dumpster when Fred Zackel fished
it out at the point of a gun. He revived the form, electrified readers and
critics, and started the juggernaut that shoved aside the paperback romance
to establish the mystery as the most popular category in the world. Finally,
the generation that grew up since COCAINE AND BLUE EYES has the chance to
meet Michael Brennan. An event like this ought to have a national holiday
connected with it."

Loren Estleman has written 43 novels and, in my humble opinion, is the best private eye writer alive, and I have been working in this field for a long time. 2010 marks the 30th anniversary of Amos Walker series, for instance. And he has other series, too, including Valentino, the film detective, and many wonderful western novels. No other writer has been more consistent in his excellence than Loren. No other writer is worthy of more kudos. That he speaks so highly of my work is a treasure I am in awe of. That he and I have since become friends is even sweeter.

You don't need to buy my work. But you should check out those books of his available on Kindle. You can do no better.

Fred
Fred Zackel is offline   Reply With Quote