View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I mean, what is the point of "printing" future periodicals with eInk displays? That defeats the whole purpose of reusable, portable book (or magazine) readers.

But I guess I would not be that surprised to see the traditional paper publishers taking the innovation of eInk displays and making just more landfill rubbish of it.

well, this is just the beginning. for the moment, it's not feasible to replace periodicals with e-ink completely, and obviously there's no point in manufacturing periodicals with a new e-ink display embedded in them monthly. but i could imagine that someday a newsstand could also propose some kind of digital kiosk ; you would have your e-ink "magazine" (color display ? flexible ? larger screen ?) which you kept, and via bluetooth (or something) you could charge it with whatever magazine or newspaper you wanted. perhaps you could even do this from a distance, automatically as you walked past, if you were a subscriber. i read an article which described such a projection, i wish i could remember where i found it...

as i said, i think the key interest of this particular proposition is to open the way for better-suited, more elaborate uses in the near future.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote