View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #74
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No, but it works on most everyone's else's system IS.

Very few people are actually having trouble with the software. Sorry to be harsh but that's the truth. Others with the same setup are working fine from what I know.

Sorry you are having trouble and I don't want to argue with you, but clearly there is something different about your system or something you are not doing that others are because (once more) it is working for virtually everyone.
"Virtually" means nothing. "Virtually" means they may have achieved a partial solution, but they still have a bug. "Virtually", here, just means that a certain set of machines matching (intentially or not) a certain set of assumptions upon which the software (intentially or not) depended on happened to be reported. This limited sample doesn't say anything about what the actual failure rate is. Kindly back off of that train of thought. I have a stock machine of basic and reasonable configuration, freshly formatted and installed, and the software is displaying anomalistic behavior of the same form as before the wipe. This is the sort of machine that devs and testers like.

So, for what it's worth, here's what I've discovered in the past couple hours of grovelling over my newly-installed machine's services.
On Win7 Ultimate x64, Sony Reader software will hang on startup if the DHCP Client service is running. If DHCP Client is *not* running, it will launch (but fail to bring up the store).

That's all there is, right there. Completely reproduceable on my system. Disabling nothing else was required. No DEP. No Firewall disabling. Just DHCP Client.

So, after getting Reader to launch successfully, re-enable DHCP Client and start it up. Refresh the store page -- works. I'm able to sign in, and it even persists between reboots, provided of course that I kill DHCP client before starting the reader app again.

On the off-chance that it was actually a service that depends on DHCP Client, I enabled DHCP Client and disabled the one service that was running which depended on it -- WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery. No change. The behavior did not seem to depend on anything except DHCP Client directly.

I don't have any non-stock drivers installed. I don't have any obscure hardware at all, in fact. No fast-and-loose games are installed. Nothing. Just Win7, Office, and Security Essentials (disabled). I *would* have expected the software to fail in the absence of DHCP Client, but to fail when it is *running*?!? This is a pretty fundamental part of my OS's network stack, which every other piece of software was interacting well enough with. This is therefore without a doubt in my mind a bug on Sony's end.

That, if anything, appears to be the harsh truth. You don't take a clean install and claim there's something somehow, magically, "wrong" with it. It's quite as often a bug that also happens to have been unwittingly configured into operating on someone else's box. That doesn't make the bug not-exist. Instead, it only makes the bug more complicated.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote