View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Even with the tag browser off though it takes a long time to do a bulk metadata change of even one field in two records, so there is something else in play here.

Helen
To twenty books in a 24000+ book library I just :-

added four tags,
changed the publisher,
changed a custom date (last change date) and
changed a fixed value set custom column (status) which is shown in the tag browser

the spreadsheet was sorted on status (ascending) and last change date (descending), which is the default I have in View Manager, the tag browser was open with all categories collapsed, no virtual libraries or search terms were in effect, book details was displayed

Took < 7secs - I regard that as plenty good enough.

Sometimes I change the metadata on 100's of books, I can't recall any that were unacceptably slow, like more than few minutes. I rarely need to change author names or titles - I try to ensure they are correct before I move the books from my 'new books' library to my 'main' library.

I do not have any columns derived/calculated from other columns, nor do I have coloured columns, or other decorative effects, and I don't use the cover browser - i.e as vanilla as it comes.

My calibre system has an i5 processor with 6GB RAM. The library is on a WD 2TB internal spinning disk, on a SATA controller, its formatted for NTFS, and the drive is fully indexed for Windows search and Locate 32. I don't use an SSD, or RAM Disks or any of that tricky stuff. The database is in the library folder with the author & book folders and its 109MB.

The software and config data are on another 2TB WD drive.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote