View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
so does no one think the bebook is worthy? - I do like the fact that bebook appears to have an active community and support. It also supports custom fonts (true type - ttf - fonts) and search being promised 'in the near future' in a firmware update. Their latest firmware addresses mobipocket supporting drm mobi and drm prc files. Their next release is tagged to include ereaders pdb format. currently the bebook supports
Pdf, doc, html, bmp, jpg, png, gif, tif, djvu, fb2, wol, txt, epub, ppt, lit, chm, rar, zip, mp3, mobi,prc, html, altho I think I read somewhere the lit reader might still be a a little flakey.

I never realised the glass/plastic substrate might be a problem, and i have to admit the sony looks very sexy, especially compared to the others.

I think for me the gen3 price is very attractive, but the good support for the hanlin clone has me umming and erring. . . and to think i was just about ready to rush out to waterstones to buy the sony - it was only due to it being out of stock that i havent got one, and now we (in the uk) suddenly get more choices!
The main Reason people may not recommand the Bebook so much is that while it has a lot of features, many of them have not been implemted properly.

The Mobipocket reader is very basic, well behind the Cybook's which while not as full featured as the desktop client is very nice.

Also, while the Bebook does support fonts, it does not do it sirectly currently, and youhave to use a workaround to install new fonts. in Contrast on the Gen3 installing new fonts is as simple as just dragging and dropping a new font in the fonts directory.

The Bebook does however support a lot of other formats like fb2 & chm and is the only one which currently has folder based navigation.

It does really depend upon what your priorities are.

If you just want to purchase and read books the Gen 3 is probably the best bet as you have a lot for choice in mobipocket books, and you also get the advantage of being able to buy easily from American stores (Get some advantage of the exchange rate )

If you have a lot of your own documents and want PDF support which allows reflowing of text then go for the Sony. Keep in mind that while it does support ePub, sources and prices for it are quiet high and it may make for sense to buy in another format and Format Shift them for the Sony.

If you want the support for the most formats, and don't mind doing a little tinkering at times definitely go for the Bebook. As you said their development is the most open and fast of all the three, so if you are interested in such, its a worth option.

In the end its a question of priorities. While I have the Gen 3 and love it, I'm also interested in the Bebook, for testing if nothing else.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote