View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It so happens that my family lived in Boston in 1954, and I remember the hurricane! I think it was called Alice. I was only three years old at the time, and what I remember most is that a big tree next to our house was knocked down by the storm.

I'm not going to go on a long rant about this, but I didn't like how the book turned out. Because he was insane, it could be argued that nothing in the book really happened and it was all a figment of his imagination. If he didn't really meet Rachel Solando in the cave, why think that anything else in the book happened?

I was reminded of Paul Auster's City of Glass, the first book of "The New York Trilogy" which I read some years ago, in which the protagonist also turned out to be insane.

I also felt that since we don't know what eventually (long term) happened to Andrew, the author was essentially toying with the reader. Was Dolores really wet when he killed her, or was that part of his imagination too. Did he kill her and the children, or was this a case of two insane people married to each other? I guess I like my mysteries solved when the book ends.

I will admit that for a while in the middle of the book, the author had me scared/concerned for Teddy's safety, as the spectre of out of control government agents using drugs to ruin a person's life is scary and (as we have seen in some Army cases from decades ago) not impossible.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote