View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
walt526
Edge User

FWIW, personally I find Google Docs to be even more frustrating to use than Docs2Go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
walt526, I don't think that any progress will be done fast. Android market is really small (compare to windows and even to iPhone OS), but developing cost much more.., so at first android market must to grow and find a way to protect apps from piracy.
I'll have to respectfully disagree based on discussions that I've had with a variety of acquaintances that work in the industry. There's a benefit to establishing a market presence early--particularly on a platform where MSFT won't be entering--that will encourage a mid- or large-sized developer to put together something more substantial, particularly since the design is known (i.e., it needs to look and function as similar to the Office apps as possible).

There isn't much money to be made in developing PC or even Mac productivity software that simply replicates functionality of existing--and well-entrenched--software, so all of the attention is on mobile. Since WP7's biggest selling point is it being relatively easy for developers to port existing software to the platform, it will likely be dominated by the same group of firms who dominate PC's. There is still a lot of interest in iOS, but it's maturing quickly and is no longer "virgin soil" as it were. At least among the people that I know, the great potential--as well as the greatest risk--is seen to be with Android. To date, the firms that have invested in the Android hardware (HTC and Motorola) have hit homeruns, now it's some software developers turn to try to take advantage of it. But any venture into Android will be costly and risky.