View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Observer
Observer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Hello, I would like to tell a story which was touched upon by LoneTech but there are some other interesting details in it. I would appreciate if somebody let me know his or her opinion. To my mind, the situation is not quite usual. I have bought e-book Pocketbook 902. One of its advantages consisted in the possibility to use a lot of different dictionaries. Time to time, the company puts new versions of soft on their site with the list of improvements. One day, I could not resist and installed a new version 2.05. Once this happened, I found that many dictionaries turned into trial ones! And, the company kindly sugegsted to buy the dictionaries form the previous list for additional money.
The company explained that the total number of available dictionaries did not change. This is true but there are special circumstances which the company prefers not to see.
1) There has been no warning that the significant part of dictionaries is the trial version.
2) Some users need not a big total number but some special dictionaries and it was one of motivation why they choose to buy Pocketbook.
3) With soft of the versions 2.01 – 2. 04, all the dictionaries were full. Only after 2.05 version they become trial.
4) The company did not notify users that they would lost the possibility to use full versions after installing 2.05 version of dictionaries but simply "seduced" them by a new version of soft.
5) The change turned out to be irreversible: return from 2.05 to 2.03 or 2.04 versions of soft does not help.
6) Once version 2.05 appeared, the company removed links to the versions 2.03 and 2.04 immediately.
7) Earlier, the company informed users that versions 2.01 and 2.02 contain a critical bag, so if somebody has a device with versions 2.01 or 2.02, it is necessary to update immediately to 2.03 and only afterwards more recent versions (2.04, 2.05, etc.) may be installed. In spite of this, the key version 2.03 disappeared from the company site almost immediately after version 2.05 had appeared, so the company "forgot" about its own warning.
8) The key event happened on 14 March. Many users on Forum appealed to Company with the ask to make official declaration. Their employee on Forum promised this many times but up to now there is no such a declaration.
9) Instead, after indignation of many users on Forum, they informed them (on Forum only, not on the official site) that Company makes a "gift" – 4 free dictionaries - to 50 users for active discussion of quality of soft, useful suggestions, etc. I was an active critic of what the Company did with dictionaries and I received a letter as a private message that I am included in this number of lucky men. Surely, I rejected this proposal.

To what extent such a behavior of company compiles with generally accepted standards? Did you encounter something like this with Sony, Kindle or any other companies? It is very interesting to compare. Thank you in advance.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote