View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
I was thinking about something. Since it's a linux OS, would it be possible to use Wine and then install some excellent PDF viewer as PDF x-change viewer (who would win easily the legibility contest again Adobe viewer or others) ?
Whatever you install would have to be able to use the E-Ink display. Most programs on the reader use the InkView library for this, but I think there are some that use Gtk. I'm not sure what Wine uses, but it might be using the X interface, which would not work without a lot of extra work (to port X to the reader).

Finally, the reader display is much lower resolution than ink on paper, and much lower contrast than even a computer screen. Fonts in PDF files are generally designed for ink-on-paper, and look pretty bad on E-Ink. I don't think any program is going to get around this problem. I guess a program could just increase the stroke size when rendering fonts to make them look bolder, but that could make letters overlap unless the kerning is changed, too. Changing the kerning will likely cause changes to the number of words on lines... There is no easy fix except to hope for higher resolution/higher contrast E-Ink displays someday.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote