View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
"It's smarter" isn't exactly a great choice of words. There are many ways of doing things,
OK, I'll acknowledge the wording was perhaps too harsh. As usual, I was in a hurry and I regret if I stepped on your or anyone elses toes. I've seen a lot of people losing work recently for various reasons, all of which go back to not having a backup.

I still think that the old system of converting the conversion, then converting the first conversion to a second conversion, then etc., etc. in a long chain of incremental changes is less desirable and less safe than getting your conversion settings correct for the original.

The problem with chaining your conversions is that even with a good backup last night, you can lose all the work you did today in the last three conversions, none of which were backed up.

Multiple conversions on the same ebook can introduce lots of artifacts that won't appear with a single conversion. Another risk is when doing search and replace. You can destroy your work.

It's true that you have to remember to delete the ORIGINAL_FORMAT if you use third party format tools to edit the converted format, but I find that easy to do, and I don't run same format conversions after I've done Sigil editing anyway.

Of course, if you prefer the old method, that's fine, but in general I think new users should be encouraged to use the new default settings.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote