View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
so far I've been opening them in acrobat and saving as a .rtf, then importing into caliber then converting to epub.
But it takes 40 minutes to convert a single book.
And the formatting is only ok, not nearly as nice as .lit to .epub

Also I'm stuck with a file that is 5 times larger at least if I want to keep a format other then the .epub
is there an export or save option in acrobat that is more efficient?
Would I be better off using a converter like PDFRead?
or is that more for converting scanned PDF files that are all images?

Would saving to html work better, and should I clean it up after that?
if I save it to HTML should I use 3.32 or 4.0?

Is there anywhere with an indepth explanation of how to use caliber command line? every time I use it I get lost or it does nothing.

Is there anywhere with a good resource for starting to dig into the ebook conversion and so on information?
I've tried searching here but its hard to find things.
Right now I have dumped RLF and Epub. I convert PDFs to DOC, edit them to fit (the Sony Reader) and then convert them back to PDF. File sizes are bigger than with other file types, but you can embed fonts, edit the text as much as you want and add pictures. It will all be perfectly preserved (except TOCS, dunno why). Page turns are really fast and books don't need repaginating when first opened, so you can just dump them in straight from the PC. File size is no problem for me so...

On the other hand, once PDF to Epub is fully functional, it should be quite straightforward to convert these files and save some memory.

You can take a look to the link below called "Libro" it is in Spanish, but will give you an idea of what you can achieve and how it performs. Font type, size paragraphs and the like are edited to my liking. Anything different will work equally well.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote