View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I almost never feel it's okay to steal, but textbook publishers sure muddy the issue.
As a (former) textbook author myself, I am well aware of the economics of their publication. Believe me, you are NEVER going to see $10 textbooks. There are two reasons for this:

1. Textbooks are extremely expensive to produce compared to fiction. They generally have highly-complex layouts, and require much more careful editing. Reputable textbook publishers generally send proofs out to independent experts in the field for checking. All this costs a great deal of money.

2. The market for textbooks is very small compared to fiction. A sold-out print run of 10,000 copies would be pathetic for any fiction book - the same sales would have a textbook publishers throwing a party.

These two factors combined are why textbooks are, and will continue to be, expensive. Stealing them isn't the answer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote