Thread: check spelling
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #44
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is entirely natural since every time you change the current word it has to build the list of suggested words, if you wish to scroll the list using keys, use page down and page up.
I think I found the cause of the slow response.

In Sigil I had problems with apostrophes in possessives & contractions, they were always flagged as an error with the en-GB dictionary shipped with Sigil.

In Sigil\hunspell\about.txt I found American British Canadian - spelling/hyphen/thesaurus dictionaries from there I installed the British-English dictionary and the apostrophe problems were gone - I don't understand why.

That dictionary is a lot bigger (670K words v 98K) than the one shipped with Sigil and calibre. Using it in Sigil had some impact on performance, but for me at least it was not dramatic, but using that dictionary in calibre has a very significant impact on performance.

In calibre I don't get the problems with apostrophes with the smaller dictionary, so I could use it. That would mean I'd have to forego the other benefits of using the larger dictionary - which I had found to be useful.

If I use Page Down & Page Up, it moves the current item, but it doesn't move the list, so I have to use the mouse to scroll the list to see the new current item.

What really I'd really like is a context menu on misspelled words (right click or Menu key), e.g. :

Code:
Ignore
Add to dictionary...
    User dictionary 1
    User dictionary 1
Show next occurrence
Change selected word to...
    alternative 1
    alternative 2
    alternative 3
    alternative .
    alternative n