View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sample cover images

As per a PM which asked just what I meant by blockiness, I've attached 3 images to this message. The first (cover.jpeg) is the original cover that my daughter obtained when she picked up Catching Fire. The second is the image converted to 4 bit B&W (16 level greyscale) without dithering -- this is very close to how the colour cover image looked as rendered by the Kobo. The third is the image converted to 4 bit B&W with dithering. The fourth image (catching_fire.jpg) is the final version we used with smoothing, resizing, contrast and brightness changes.

Notice the banding around the mocking jay in the second image visible even in the thumbnail and the artifacting around Suzanne Collins' name in images 2 and 3 if you view the full size image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	99252   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_16_nodither.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	99253   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_16_dither.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	99254   Click image for larger version

Name:	catching_fire.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	99256  

Last edited by DNSB; 01-12-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added viewing full size image to see artifacting
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote