View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Exactly. No one device is going to replace paper use... but all of them will. The process has already started everywhere (except the bathroom, duly noted).
Again I am not convinced. All of those devices are great.. but unless it is one device, it is not going to replace paper. Why not? Simple, for them to effectively replace paper the device has to be always with you. I can see having a smart phone or a small tablet with you all the time, but not all the devices you would need to to replace paper.

Steve, you mentioned white boards earlier... and I agree they are great, but they have their limitations. The first is that while many offices have them, many of the other places that business gets done (Like say the local diner) do not have them. Further, they don't even approach being a permanent record. In some respects, the napkin in the diner has advantages over the white board.

Quote:
And as our environment tightens up, and we realize how much we need to preserve trees and avoid landfilling and burning, we'll see that we already have an excellent alternative to environmental degradation... some will be forced to change to help preserve our planet. And then everyone else will feel the pressure--"Why aren't you helping to save your planet? Hmm?" --and more will change.
Of course, paper is usually made from farmed trees and can be recycled. I also get more junk mail in a day than I use productively in most weeks. So I doubt this is the killer for paper.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the conservative and romantic urges of paper-lovers will eventually be relegated to using what paper is left to send out expensive party invitations, and wipe their backsides. Paper will become too precious to do anything else with it.
I am not particularly romantic about paper. Shoot, the vast majority of books I read these days are ebooks! I just think that for some things, paper has big advantages.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote