View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #1827
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Vaesse: Do they still get flagged 'On Device' properly in the library view?

What does the plugboard look like?
I've been away from my computer (too much else going on, only down time is in bed with my iPhone), but I think I've posted it before and it's not too complicated (plus it works fine 99% of the time). It says (in the proper language):

Nic(Series if no Nic) series_index (in 000.00 format) - title

in the title field and the equivalent in the title sort field. Nic is my custom column with an abbreviated series so I can see beyond the series on longer named series in my book list on the Kindle.

When it gets messed up, they are not flagged as on device in library view or as in library in device view (I think... now that I re-read that I'm not completely sure... I KNOW the second half is true). This is what pulls them out of the collections. I understand why they get pulled out when they get messed up. What I don't understand is why they get messed up in the first place.

I don't muck about in the back end of Calibre or the Kindle, but it seems to me that there's probably a file or equivalent somewhere that tells Calibre, "This book on the Kindle with the series info in the 'title' field is the same as this book in your database with just the title in the title field." And from time to time, that file either disappears or gets corrupted or for whatever reason stops working. And then my only recourse is to recreate the information by removing all the books and sending them back to the Kindle again. Of course, it could be something else entirely. And if I wasn't so reliant on this add-on (it takes almost 300 pages of books down to a slightly more reasonable 70 or so), it wouldn't effect me if Calibre forgot which books on the Kindle it has in its library. And re-reading my guess, it is probably more a plugboard/Calibre in general issue than something caused by this add-on. Still I'd be thrilled to never again have to reload all my books in series to solve it again.

EDIT: Saberdeyn - No, since I found Calibre, I never move books to my Kindle except through Calibre. Most of the time, I use the reading list add-on (almost only exception is times like these when things go wrong). But yes, Calibre is 'forgetting' that the books on the Kindle are in Calibre's library already. Still, a good thought that certainly could cause similar issues.

Last edited by Vaesse; 01-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.