View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I think the Kindle DX Graphite model is your only option right now. If you don't mind the weight and the dual screen (and the higher price) the Entourage eDGe is a good choice. PDF support is very good. The problem is that the device is heavy and not really suited as a dedicated ebook reader. It is intended to be used by students in classrooms and such. It is very good for that. The best PDF reader I have seen so far is the iPad but its LCD screen can be a disadvantage for most people as it is tough on the eyes when you read for long periods of time. In my opinion, and being in a very similar situation as yours as far as deciding on an e-reader for PDF with eInk, I only see the following choices

A. Buy the Kindle DX Graphite model now and live and/or work around its existing problems.

B. Wait for the next generation of large screen e-readers either by the end of 2010 or early 2011. These devices are expected to be better than the current Kindle DX, including possibly a newer generation of Kindles by Amazon themselves.

Note: Based on my experience, PDFs and academic papers in PDF including scientific and technical books, magazines, and journals require a large screen. A 6" is not enough in my opinion.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote