View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Personally I would have walked away, but too late for this advice, so log and keep all communications with them- forever. Log a copy of the agreement, and anything else you have.
Agreed. As some of you may recall, in my former life, I was Sr. Veep of a Strategic Planning and Litigation Strategy Division. I would NEVER have let that wording stand as-was. NEVAH. It's too amorphous, and bottom line, they absolutely ARE SAYING that they retain the print rights, period. I suspect it's amorphous on purpose. There's ambiguity by amateurs, that is not intentional--that's not what that is.

So, Gregg: archive that email, and even print it out and save it in your physical files. Get it date-stamped if you can. Make sure you get all the header info. I don't foresee some future in which you come to legal blows, but nonetheless: the wording says one thing, the email says something completely different. You are, basically, precluded from selling the print rights to someone else, for all intents and purposes.

And please: don't ever agree to terms like that again. This is how people end up spilling their guts on Preditors and Editors; they don't understand the cold-hard-world reality of legal documents, and terms and conditions. I can't speak to other countries, but here in the US, we are a "nation of laws," and that knife cuts BOTH ways.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote