View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #147
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
OK, I will now talk about pricing. I suggest sony to release a full featured premium version of this, and in addition, release a couple more downgraded version (ripped version etc), to attack lower end of the market, those two ripped versions, in my mind being: reader version, and writer version.

(keep in mind the below suggestion does not take much account into market competition with similar devices, which there are not yet much device to compete with for now. But I assume not long after sony release this slate, if ever, there will be some additional competition factors to be taken into consideration.)

Reader version:
No pen support.
Maybe also restricted to open and view only one document/ebook at a time. (no jumping b/w documents conviniently between tags etc..)
Maybe totally rip out the annotation feature, so user cannot even hand write notes through regular touch input.
No ability to output screen to projectors.
No microSD expansion. (maybe less internal storage also)
Lower build quality.
Less battery life (or at least different in advertising)
Weaker memory and CPU.
less warrenty period and coverage, less customer support.
etc...

Target group: readers who just want a large screen device to view pdfs.
Possible price tag: $299.

Writer version:
Only have pen input, no regular touch input. Meaning user can only interact with the touch screen through the pen, if he lost it, he has to buy a new pen, or he cannot use the touch screen at all.
This version should reserve the note-taking feature.
Maybe restricted to only view one document at a time.
No ability to output screen to projectors.
No microSD expansion. (maybe less internal storage also)
Lower build quality.
Less battery life.
Weaker memory and CPU.
less warrenty period and coverage, less customer support.
etc...

Target group: students who do not want to afford the premium price.
Possible price: $399.

Premium version
Basically a full featured version, features both pen and traditional touch input, with good hardware and build quality, etc.
Possible price: $499 or higher
Also, even this might sound crazy, but sony can further up scale the premium version by making it water resistant, shock proof, dust proof etc, like their phones and tablets...

OK, thats all I can think for now.

Last edited by ghero; 06-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote