View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
"I'm thinking of purchasing a a second e-reader (I have a PRS-650) and I saw a Kindle 3 for the first time the other day. I thought it was very handsome. So I'm thinking of purchasing a Kindle, but I have some questions / remaining doubts. I would appreciate your comments."

I own both a K3 and a jetBook, roughly comparable to your anticipated setup.

"1. Is it easy to look up words in the dictionary?"

Reasonably. The D-pad isn't as quick as a touchscreen. The jetBook has more dictionary options, like multiple languages, but I don't see much difference.

"2. Is it awkward to store a lot of books on the Kindle? I currently have about 300 documents on my reader."

No. You should have no real problem at that level. I much prefer the jetBook's folder system to the K3's collections, but mileage varies so. I would suggest you think carefully about how you want to organize 300 books, but I presume you've already done that on the 650.

"3. I understand I have to register the Kindle in order to be able to organize books into collections. Does this mean that I cannot organize free / self-produced / non-Amazon-purchased content into collections?"

No, the collections work for anything.

"4. Do the letters rub off the keys on the black kindle?"

I haven't had any problems.

"5. Has the crash problem been fixed? Does the browser make it crash?"

I've never had a problem.

With respect to case and covers. I use a cheap ($8-10) generic cover when the K3 is in my briefcase, etc. When reading, The K3 is fine naked. The light weight makes it easy to single-hand. And no, I don't have giant hands. If you need more light to read, turn on a lamp. "Don't read in the dark; you'll ruin your eyes!"--Mother

My one piece of substantive advice is to think carefully about whether you need the 3G phone connection. I have it, but seldom use it. In hindsight, I lean towards saving the $50. In truth, I don't use the WiFi that often. I usually connect by cable unless I'm downloading an Amazon purchase.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote