View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #53
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
What are your specific concerns with the BeBook? I am considering getting the EZReader for my son.

However, the Pocket Pro is not quite the same as the current BeBook. The Pocket Pro is the next generation of the BeBook hardware. I am sure that BeBook will also carry this. Both units are actually the Hanlin hardware with BeBook/EZReader branding.

I'm not sure how exact my memory is, but here goes. The pocket pro has a faster (Epson) controller, it is five inches in size, and it has a scroll wheel added to the right side for an alternative page advance button.

There will be a lot of similarities with the current generation BeBook, so I am interested in your opinion. However, I have no way of knowing about any more subtle design changes that may have impacted the product.
The sole criteria for adding BeBook to my collection has been the (so far biggest) variety of file formats.
But: Mobipocket is the only DRM format on it. This I can use on Cybook or both iRex units as well (even with some advantages, for example thumbnails on Cybook). For the other formats, I don't really have any advantage.
I mainly don't download from the web, but purchase the ebooks I'm interested in.
Would BeBook process DRMed .lit, which I've got from my former Pocket PCs, it would be helpful. But being able to process un-DRMed .lit is of no use for me. Same for the other formats.
So I don't really have any use for most of the formats.
Still, the OS has some nice aspects and OpenInkpot certainly would be an option.
But I'm simply not using it, because it's simply "not cool" to me. Lots of people, which have seen more than 1 unit from me, ALL did agree on that.
If you compare, let's say Sony 505 and BeBook, you've got the impression, it's either a difference of at least 1 generation (3 years or something like that) or a totally different price range.
I don't know how else to express it. BeBook looks and feels like "cheap plastic".

Quote from PC Pro's online review:
"Unfortunately, first impressions are underwhelming. Whereas the Sony PRS-505 slid from the box like a Bentley whispering out of the showroom, there's a real bargain basement feel to the BeBook".

Quote from Macworld:
"With its black plastic case, tic-tac buttons and e-paper screen it has a retro feel, rather like an old Psion PDA. Sony seems to have offset the old-fashioned feel of the screen with a swish silver case and svelte buttons - something the BeBook could use."

Quote from cnet UK:
"When it comes to design, comparing the BeBook to the PRS-505 is like comparing Asda's £20 'city' suit to Savile Row's finest tailoring. The Sony model's classy metallic finish and the BeBook's plasticky case just don't compare."
"Endless Ideas' BeBook is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it has good battery life, great file support and an excellent screen, but, on the other, it's hampered by a sluggish menu system and plasticky, unappealing design."

Additional comment:
Standalone, on its own, all readers are great. I'd prefer ANY eInk over Notebooks and other technologies anytime.
A friend of mine decided for Sony 700 over Sony 505 because of speed and touchscreen.
He absolutely LOVES his unit. When checking out my Sony 505, he's briefly depressed. But after using his Sony 700 again for a few minutes, everything is fine.
Same probably is true for BeBook. If you don't compare to others, it's a nice unit.
But in comparison, its design "flaws" in aesthetics become obvious...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: additions
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote