View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #44
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
My eye doctor claims any long-term staring at a fixed distance will cause eye strain.

As for my "instructions" for people? I'm sometimes shocked that this place is called MobileRead.
In response to your second statement:
Quote:
...I generally ascribe it to bad viewing habits...
Quote:
Not especially likely. By the time fluorescent tube flashing becomes a serious nuisance for me, assuming I have poor enough habits to permit it to become so, ...I however consider it closer to RSIs, which is more behavioral in nature, and often caused by poor habits, perhaps exacerbated by environments and products that, when used without common sense, promote bad habits...
These statements are pretty clear: You believe that the majority of people who suffer from eye strain quicker when using backlit devices as opposed to non-backlit devices are just using the backlit devices incorrectly and, by inference, if we would just learn to use these devices correctly we would not suffer.

First statement: Yes and eye strain becomes worse as you age. That is what I was talking about in my first post. My vision is virtually the same as twenty years ago. What has changed is the fact that I now have bifocals (actually progressive lenses) and I can no longer use backlit devices comfortably for the same length of time as before. I practiced (and still do) "good habits" when using these devices and it does not matter. Age catches up with all of us.

Why do backlit devices increase eye strain? Don't know. I don't know if an LED LCD would be better as I have not tried one. Nor have I tried any of the other newer technologies. I am not in the "if it glows, it blows" camp because I have not tried all the glowing devices yet. I do have an e-ink device and I do know it is far easier on my eyes than my current LCD devices.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote