View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
No doubt that it is useful. Total doubt that it will ever gain much market share. Windows RT is more powerful in what concrete ways?
Multitasking, file management and general device support. Standardized USB. Standardized MicroSD storage. Standardized HDMI. Have a printer? It will probably work with no fuss. Same with external storage. Plug in whatever USB mouse or keyboard you want, it will work. It has a PC-level browser. Gestures, once learned, are fast and fluid. It looks and functions almost exactly like Windows 8 except of course for the ability to run x86 programs, which no other ARM tablet does anyway. The Windows Store just passed 100,000 apps, which isn't bad at all in less than a year. More will come.

But what is telling is that you still go to your PC when you need to get things done. With the excellent Type keyboard and the same standard USB wireless mouse I used on my laptop, my RT has completely replaced my laptop for personal mobile use, which I never expected it to. If I really need a PC, the RDP client turns it into a true mini-laptop that will last most of the day on a single charge. That takes good hardware and software. Basically the only time I go back to a PC is when I need a larger screen. In another version or two it could be capable of replacing my work laptop as well. There is a lot of potential in RT.

Update: I should also add the ability to create user profiles just like you do on Windows 8. Each user can log on using a local account or a Microsoft account. With a Microsoft account you can have the same profile on all your Windows 8/RT devices. You don't need a separate device for each family member, provided you don't all need it at the same time. And you can restrict and monitor activity on each account.

Last edited by pl001; 07-23-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: addition
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote