View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
Types of content supported - I don't initially see myself wanting to buy DRM-locked books. I'd like to read free classics and possibly free & legal books from other sources like the Baen Free Sci-Fi Library.

Loading content - I'm an engineer & comfortable using the USB connection to upload to the Sony. I do realize the Kindle makes that easier, but I don't believe it would be any easier to upload my own free ebooks to a Kindle. I'm also comfortable using software to reformat pdfs, or convert text to pdf, etc.

Resolution - I definitely want at least the current 800x600 rez of E-Ink's latest displays, which I believe the PRS-505 provides. I like a larger screen but don't think I can find one for anywhere near the price of a Sony PRS-505.

Aesthetics - a friend has a Kindle and I actually object mildly to the full QWERTY keyboard taking up so much real estate. The Sony design is more pleasing to my eye, and I'm not particularly a Sony fanboy.

Size/weight - The Sony Reader is marginally smaller and lighter than the Kindle. This is important to me.

Cost effectiveness - I'm "frugal" (cheap?) so this is a big factor too. $200 for the PRS-505 from sonystyle.com if I apply for and use a SONY Visa, vs $359 for the Kindle. A minor point is that the Sony includes a cover but the Kindle doesn't. Also a resale consideration: if a significantly better technology comes out soon I would imagine I could sell the Sony at a small loss - $50 to $75, but the Kindle has a much higher starting price and I wonder how it would hold that value if, say, Amazon decided to start subsidizing the purchase price of a newer Kindle.

I'm not listing battery performance as a significant factor, since either the Sony or Kindle should be fine. Same with built-in storage, and I know I can add SDHC cards to the Sony if I chose to.
You forgot metal. Otherwise, it's like you're the sales manager for the 505.

Size/weight, cost, aesthetics, you don't buy so many books and don't mind USB. Yeah, you're that rare buyer whose requirements point you clearly in one direction.

I am also, uh, thrifty, and chose the 505 for many of the same reasons. A couple of times I wished for a dictionary, and search and notes seem like they would be nice, but nah. As Lilly points out you'd give up some organization capabilities, and the page go-to capabilities and bookmarks and history are quite enough for most navigation purposes. And if you become a big Calibre free magazine/newspaper devotee, you'd need USB anyway. I'm very happy with the 505.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote