View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #9
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
Hi, first post here...a newbie...leaning towards the Sony PRS-505...folks will let me know if I've made the right conclusions...Types of content supported - I don't initially see myself wanting to buy DRM-locked books. I'd like to read free classics and possibly free & legal books from other sources like the Baen Free Sci-Fi Library.
Hi, I'm fairly new here, spent the last several weeks lurking to aid in my decision between Kindle and the Sonys 505 & 700 (got tons of info!!). I ended up buying the Sony PRS 505 last night-got a great deal at Fry's (no waiting for postal!) at $249-instore price, no obligations. I've found tons of free ebook sources, including here, also Gutenberg, The Burgomeister's Books (www.truly-free.org although not tried yet), etc.

Quote:
Loading content - I'm an engineer & comfortable using the USB connection to upload to the Sony.
I'm only an engineer by marriage (haha), but had no trouble at all charging, loading the library software, downloading and moving my first book onto the reader. I was actually a bit surprised that it was such a cakewalk - truly impressed! I did buy a book (I've been wanting to read for a pretty long time so I didn't mind paying a wee bit) through the Sony bookstore. When you load the library software onto your computer you can automatically use it to enter the store without need for a browser window-made it a bit easier.

Quote:
Resolution - I definitely want at least the current 800x600 rez of E-Ink's latest displays, which I believe the PRS-505 provides.
I tried out the Kindle, 505 and 700 and found the resolution to be similar, but the 700 did lack a bit in contrast. Was one of the major factors in my decision.

Quote:
Aesthetics - a friend has a Kindle and I actually object mildly to the full QWERTY keyboard taking up so much real estate. The Sony design is more pleasing to my eye, and I'm not particularly a Sony fanboy.
Another one of the tie-breakers for me. The 505 is mostly readable screen. I guess if you are going to use the reader for Internet then the keyboard is nice, but just in the way for me (now watch I'll buy a Kindle next).

Quote:
Size/weight - The Sony Reader is marginally smaller and lighter than the Kindle. This is important to me.
Totally surprised how lightweight the 505 is. I did add the cover/lightwedge which makes it about as heavy as a paperback - still much lighter than my usual 5-10 books stuffed into carry-on for an international flight (which is a MAJOR PITA!!).

Quote:
Cost effectiveness - I'm "frugal" (cheap?) so this is a big factor too. $200 for the PRS-505 from sonystyle.com if I apply for and use a SONY Visa, vs $359 for the Kindle.
As I had said, $249 with no strings attached was a price not beaten unless going private or ebay especially with the huge number of free books available. Only .68/day for the first year is a bargain considering the number of books I read and the hassle of carrying them around.

Quote:
I'll be on vacation for a week, but I will check back after June 1 to check responses. Since I can't say thanks for a while, I'll just say thanks in advance! - Jim in Austin
Hope you have a great time, wear your sunscreen and look forward to further adventures when you return to reality.

Cheers!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote