View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
Hi, first post here. As I was packing six books before heading on a Caribbean cruise tomorrow I starting thinking about eBook readers again.
Welcome and enjoy the cruise!

Quote:
Types of content supported - I don't initially see myself wanting to buy DRM-locked books. I'd like to read free classics and possibly free & legal books from other sources like the Baen Free Sci-Fi Library.
I have several books from the Baen Free sci-fi library on my Sony, which are fine. Also, there's plenty of nicely formatted free classics here in many formats.

Quote:
Loading content - I'm an engineer & comfortable using the USB connection to upload to the Sony. I do realize the Kindle makes that easier, but I don't believe it would be any easier to upload my own free ebooks to a Kindle. I'm also comfortable using software to reformat pdfs, or convert text to pdf, etc.
I use Calibre as my library management tool, and upload using the USB cable via that. I've also just dragged-and-dropped a couple of things.

Quote:
Resolution - I definitely want at least the current 800x600 rez of E-Ink's latest displays, which I believe the PRS-505 provides. I like a larger screen but don't think I can find one for anywhere near the price of a Sony PRS-505.
I believe all of the larger ones are pricier

Quote:
Aesthetics - a friend has a Kindle and I actually object mildly to the full QWERTY keyboard taking up so much real estate. The Sony design is more pleasing to my eye, and I'm not particularly a Sony fanboy.
That's a personal thing. I do think Sony tend to have good designs, including the 505, but not everyone agrees

Quote:
Cost effectiveness - I'm "frugal" (cheap?) so this is a big factor too. $200 for the PRS-505 from sonystyle.com if I apply for and use a SONY Visa, vs $359 for the Kindle.
I know others have said in other threads that you'll soon make up that difference with cheaper ebooks for the Kindle. But if you're going to be reading more free stuff then that's not so much of a factor.

Personally, I think for what you've said you want, the Sony 505 will suit your needs perfectly.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote