View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #24
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Verified.

Also, there is no Kindle 4 3G (Mini).
Thanks. I will keep the original post updated with current information. A "universal" mntus.params needs to use the actual size reported by "fdisk -l" when it is valid. Unfortunately, at some stages of main boot, fdisk reports a 0-byte drive, in which case we must use known sizes for kindle serial numbers in "/proc/cpuinfo". That is a simplified version of the method used in the startup scripts. I rely on most of the "computed values" being the same on all the kindles (but I have not checked a kindle 1 or kindle 2 yet). Returning the wrong values is NOT an option, because in many cases this will make the startup scripts ERASE the USB Drive contents, which is WHY my script either returns correct values OR uninstall itselfs and reboots (so the kindle can rebuild mntus.params with the default values for that kindle).

I plan to use mntus.params as my "master control" for a diags boot menu, and rooting/jailbreak, and recovery. For now, my mntus.params is deposited in place by data.tar.gz, but for kindles without the "tar bug" I will rely on existing known jailbreak methods where possible, to deposit my script where it is needed.

It seems to be working well on my K4NT, but I want to test it on all my kindles before I release it, to save support headaches in the future. I will also package all the SSH file in my data.tar.gz, so that the Touch diags "Enable USBnet" menu will work like it does on the K4NT. Diags with USB Drive export and SSH are all you really need to repair many problems that prevent booting to the main partition, along with the KindleSelectBoot tool to get you to diags from a bricked condition.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-23-2012 at 03:34 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote