View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
- eye strain, eye strain, eye strain: a million times over. Sure it's not backlit, it's front lit but the lights are still there facing you. After being in front of an LCD screen, iPad, and iPhone most of the day I want to rest my eyes.
It will most likely be much the same reading experience we get now with a Kindle and a clip on LED light attached. I don't get eyestrain from a front lit Kindle w/ light. I do get a bit or a lot of eyestrain from backlit LCDs depending on the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
I just have a teeny-tiny concern that book covers in the standard 3:4 ratio will not totally fill the screen - there will be a few pixels-wide space above and below the cover image.
Whenever I look at the library view with covers on Kindle for iPad or K4PC I see every cover size ratio you can imagine, and a few you cannot! My point is there seems to be no standard for cover size ratio being used. Publishers are publishing for multiple digital formats and for multiple devices so you get whatever they decide to use. Besides, since we don't have the option to use the covers for a sleep image, you will rarely see it. In most books you have to manually go to the cover, at least after you start reading. Covers in the library view will be thumbnails and won't take up the whole screen as they will show multiple covers per screen. At least that is how it looks in K4PC and K4iOS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cover view in library, if we get a true library with covers view that will be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I've grown use to using Collections and use to the list view. I think covers might make finding the book a bit faster than reading the list, and it would look pretty cool, but I wonder how few covers would fit on such a tiny screen anyway. Cover view in the Kindle for iPad or K4PC is really nice but in both cases you have a much larger screen to work with, especially with K4PC.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-27-2012 at 12:28 PM.