View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Thanks for the link.
I quite liked the reviewer putting the Kindle in historical perspective.

Just a few thoughts about the review:
As always, I'm a bit surprised when reading on an ereader is compared to reading a paper book. I mean: when a mp3-player is reviewed, there is no talk about the 'real experience' in the concerthall or rockstage.

As for the use of highlights in an academic setting; there still is the problem of the locations, which I strongly feel are not suited at all.

He is right though about the prices. I know I saved up for my first iLiad, 2nd-hand for 399 euro (new 699). I think the prices will even get lower; certainly hope so for the Kindle-DX.

But the iLiad was not so prehistoric as he makes it to be. I loved it; could read PDF, get papers, browse (well: experimental..) and what more on it. Travelled all over the world with it.

When the reviewer says:
[ It's not all good news. The Kindle interface still feels like something that escaped from 1985 and time-traveled into the future. Text-based interface with no mouse or touchscreen? Black-and-white screen? Small delays between issuing commands and seeing their results? Check, check, and check—and if you try to do much with the Kindle beyond straight, front-to-back reading, these limitations will feel... limiting.
The Kindle (and similar reading-centric devices) promises the virtues of an electronic gadget with the distraction-lite environment of the book.]

I agree that Amazon can do a bit better on the above.
I don't need all kind of things on the Kindle as a fast browser, games etc, but I would like it to be a bit more intuītive. Amazon really should make the effort to easily make collections on different levels, and to be able to browse quickly through all the books.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote