View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #90
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If he kept his opinions to himself, I'm a *shrug*. Instead, he's using his voice in a powerful media outlet to campaign against libraries. My money, my choice. And our libraries have many, many copies of his books - no trouble at all getting hold of them.
The "money/choice" thing I certainly agree with. But for him, it's not merely a matter of opinion. It's his livelihood that's impacted, which gives him the right to have his say, in my view.

Quote:
How lovely for you to be that wealthy. I can't afford a $10-$20 dollar a day reading habit.
Yeah, it would, but it's not that I don't have other things to do with my money, if I didn't spend it on books. I wouldn't be able to spend $10-$20 a day on books, either. Project Gutenberg and other free, or reduced price, sources, have replaced the library for me.

Point is, I spend money on books rather than movies or sports or coffee or new clothes or haircuts or wine or all the other trivialities in life. Well, maybe not wine...

Back when the kids were young, we used Borders & BN for a library, because we had each of them within a couple of blocks of us. So I bought books there. I always preferred Borders. But these days, the internet is busy replacing the library, with Borders gone & the BN no longer in our neighborhood, though still available.

Plus my reading has slowed down since I've gotten old & decrepit, which has the advantage of reducing my expenditures. I still pile up more than I can read, of course, as do we all...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote