View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #27
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
For what it's worth, The book didn't really work for me. I would rather the Club had chosen a more up to date and more readable account if it was going to go with a travelog.
I was the opposite. If I had wanted an up-to-date version of a place to visit, then I would have looked on the web for photos and information. This was something that I may have just skipped if it hadn't been chosen. I can also say that yes, I am of the impatient generation and my eyes do glaze over and I think "just get on with it", but I would just put the book down and come back to it later.
Quote:
To me it appeared that no detail was trivial enough to be left out. I didn't need the exact measurements of every room they visited. But that's me. Different strokes, as they say.
To me, this was a fascinating view of how people and places were described to those not there, especially when photos were not in use. There were no "vacation" photos to be shared with family and friends when you arrived home. Words painted and gave the picture. I think we have lost the art of doing this along with the art of being able to listen (or read).

I have a better understanding of historical accounts about people who had writing desks or boxes and spent daily time on their correspondence. I better understand why they were excited about any letter that arrived. A time when correspondence was excitedly received and different from today where we are overwhelmed by the amount of information all around us. A letter was cherished and read and reread, but today we pick and choose to read and delete or look and click to change sites/channels and then move on.
Quote:
But the formatting was nice.
And after saying all the above, I am still reading the book.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote