View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post

The Dreamer is silly again, the box carrying nephew who ends up as an unauthorized sales clerk. A case of breaking the rules for him.

The Story Teller is fun, here again a bit of gender interaction. A bachelor being better with children than their mother, a more interesting story teller breaking the standard accepted rules for morals of the story.

The Lumber Room I really enjoyed with the boy turning the rules to his advantage at every turn from the hilarious frog in his breakfast to tricking his aunt in the rainbarrel. He turns her own words against her over and over. It seems Saki doesn't much of his parents or parents in general.

Gutenburg has a whole set of his books for free so I will enjoy them. They make a nice light hearted contrast to Black Rain which I just finished.
"The Dreamer" and "The Story Teller" in different ways both launch attacks on the too-smug morality of the Edwardians. "The Dreamer" in particular sails very close to the wind.

I think "The Lumber Room" is one of the most brilliant stories Saki ever wrote. It is beautifully developed and has a central character {based on Saki himself} who really lives.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote