View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Dyslexia is something that has always baffled me. Japanese script is inherently much more complicated than the alphabet and when I have asked my Japanese friends about Japanese dyslexics they shake their heads in bewilderment, never even heard about the phenomena. When I was a student there I also asked foreign students from China, they were equally baffled. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it certainly doesn't seem to take the same proportions. I wonder why? Can it be that training a young brain for a much more complicated script forces them over some mental hurdle? I have no idea, but it sure is puzzling.
My guess is that it does exist and it is simply ignored. My Mom discovered she had learning disabilities when I tested for them. When she was a kid, there was no thought given to why students were struggling. If you had problems reading you were lazy or stupid or a combination of the two. She has horror stories from school. It is more than possible that such an attitude still exists across the globe.

I am dyslexic, one of eight learning disabilities, and it is sucks. I have lerned to compensate but it is harder when I am reading a ton. Graduate school was very frustrating because I had not had issues with my dyslexia for years and then all the sudden it was back. In reality, I went from reading maybe 250 pages of text a week to reading 3,000 pages of text a week. I studied Political Science and we read a lot. A tired, over taxed brain led to having to give myself time to learn to cope again.

I am guessing that the weighted font works because it helps the brain process the information correctly. Maybe the weighted line helps the brain process that that part is suppose to stay put which forces the rest of the text to stay put.

I now my brother read better using a blue transperancy, something about the color helped his brain process the information correctly. There are anecdotal stories that kids with dyslexia are reading better on ereaders potentially because the background color is just different enough to help the brain process the information correctly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote