View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #197
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Except that you (like some others) wanted it to be something it is not - a full android tablet. It that is what you want then that's what you should buy.
Just wanted to re-respond to this post, and the one about the "walled garden" that is BlackBerry Playbook.

I got the Playbook, browsed around the dismal selection of apps for it, then installed the 2.0 Beta with the Android player in it. I sideloaded some apps, got a few (including the Kindle app) working, but couldn't get Gmail to work. As I continued fiddling with it, I kept getting more and more dissatisfied with it.

I realized that I was just trying to turn it into an Android tablet, like you said - so I stopped, reset it, and ordered an HTC Flyer used from Amazon. I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied with it (I've NEVER been this wishy-washy on an electronic purchase before, I swear!) since I have an HTC Thunderbolt, and the Pen Digitizer is a definite bonus for those with a creative bent (I'm a graphic designer.)

As far as the Fire goes, it had the potential to be a full Android Tablet (except for missing bluetooth and cameras) and Amazon gimped it with their ugly Carousel UI. I might have been happy with it once someone had released a Cyanogen 7 ROM for it (and yes, someone already has CM7 working on it, but with some problems to clean up) but the addition of 8GB more base flash memory, a MicroSD card slot (that I already have a 32gb card for), bluetooth, and 2 cameras, for a measly $100 more, makes me happy. Ok, I hope it'll make me happy.

My Thunderbolt is rooted, so I know if there's something about the Flyer I don't like, I'll root it and change it. I'm a tinkerer at heart. I need a shirt that says "I Void Warranties."
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote