View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #454
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I didn't realize they had updated the original Fire (Fire 1) to a Fire 2. Is it just a firmware update to match its big brother the Fire HD, or did they upgrade the hardware too?

To be honest I was never impressed with the Fire 1 and the Fire HD really isn't much better. The special Amazon GUI is really annoying and the lack of Collections for books inexcusable, IMO. The only reason I reluctantly bought the Fire HD was because the Paperwhite sucked even worse and I wanted a mid-size tablet/reader with good screen for reading Kindle books in low lit areas. The Fire HD does excel at that task. But if Apple had put a better screen on the mini I would have bought it instead as the Kindle for iPad app is really good.
I finally broke down and rooted my KFHD (after the 7.2.2 update), temporarily disabled OTA updates, and installed Go Launcher EX. It is now the most responsive and smoothest Android tablet that I've owned. I might install Google Play just to round it out.

The original Amazon UI is just a tap away should I want to use it.

Having said that, I don't think that I'd recommend the KFHD to anyone unless they planned on using it "stock".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote