View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Any one have any clues to what kind of magic I should ask my favourite image editor to perform in order to reduce the background noise of my scanned pages. I have tried working with saturation, hue, rgb-channels, contrast etc and the result is becomes better than the one straight from the scanner, but not as good as the Google books. My improvements are by change since I am clueless at this. Any one with some general advice on the matter or perhaps a linky?

Of course it would depend on a lot of factors how one should behave oneself to get the best result, but there should probably be some general rules or principles on the matter. (Trying to use Irfanview which has batch processing with advanced options. The point is to get them to my Cybook in one piece without any OCR)

I've never scanned a book before, but do use a scanner many times a day. Did you scan your pages as RGB, Grayscale or Line Art (B&W)? Not sure which would be best, might depend on your source book quality.

Depends on what you mean by background noise, but have you tried messing with the images levels (that's what Photoshop calls it anyway), maybe that's what you meant by rgb-channels. Usually if I have some speckles or something in the background (white) part of a scan I can mess with the levels and get rid of it. Some software has a despeckle option that I'm told can be useful on some books, but it'll also get rid of punctuation a lot of the time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote