View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
It has that stuff? Would never have known if you hadn't mentioned it. Certainly not mentioned in the manual, at least the PDF from the web site I'm using.
What guide are you looking at? I don't think I have seen a Kobo guide in PDF form. On the reader is a welcome guide with the basics.

And I have just discovered that someone at Kobo needs to be shot. There was an extensive and good help installed on the Touch. It has been removed with one of the firmware updates.
[/QUOTE]
For anyone else these are tucked away under the rather inappropriate 'settings' menu then 'extras'. Very counter intuitive. Whoever worked on the navigation for this thing should be fired. These should be accessible directly from the home page.
[/QUOTE]
I agree that at least the browser should be more easily accessible.
Quote:
Either the instruction manual is just plain bad or maybe I'm missing something. I appreciate that a nice simple 'Quick Start' style of guide is great to get started quickly. Though nowhere does it mention that your book files need to be stored directly in the root. It was only when I got on these forums that someone told me that. Now that might be obvious to people who have had ereaders before but then those people probably won't need a guide anyway.
You don't have to store them in the root. You can manually sideload books into just about any directory. The only ones I wouldn't try are the ".kobo" and whatever the ADE directory is called (I know it has "digital editions" in its name). By default, calibre will create a directory for each author and put books into those.

Quote:
On the other hand there's no detail for those who want to delve a bit deeper. I have no idea what programs are installed and no idea how to add or remove them. In fact the manual tells you nothing about the OS at all. For documentation: 1 star.
What you see is what you get. You can't add or remove any of the applications. You can put books onto the device and read them. There is a browser to help find other books. And a shop application.

Quote:

SOME PROBLEMS

1. On the epubs I've loaded you can't change the line spacing or the margins and even the font sizes seem quite limited. You seem to jump from too small to too large in just one step. There's also no option to read in landscape mode (at least that I can find). What does one need to do to get these working properly? Change something in the CSS file perhaps?
I agree that landscape mode is missing.

As to the fonts and spacing etc, the device respects the styling in the book. So, if margins are set in the book, they can't be changed on the device. In that case, you need to edit the book to change whatever is needed; probably the stylesheet but you may need to make other changes depending on the formatting.

Quote:
2. Reading PDFs is a frustrating. To be honest I think a bigger screen is really needed for best viewing of PDFs. Perhaps with better eyesight you'd do better but still not the nicest reading experience. With PDFs you can change the orientation and zoom in. What works nicely is scrolling using your finger. When you do this you get a little mini pop view of the page so you know exactly where you are. However on at least one book I was thwarted when I couldn't get to the next page by tapping anywhere. The only way was to bring up the slider control which tends to send you to several pages in front. I gave up on that book. Perhaps there's a better way but I've not found it yet.
I agree with the comments about PDFs. I pretty much gave up on them on my Touch after the first try. I convert them to epub or find an epub version. I don't try to read PDF text books as they screen is just to small.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote